David Marner Jr. literally embodies the term, “attorney and counselor at law.” Before embarking on his career as an attorney over thirty years ago, David worked as a counselor at the Cedar Rapids agency currently known as Tanager Place. He subsequently became a legal assistant, working at a bankruptcy law firm in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. In that context, he had the opportunity attorneys have to make a profound impact on the lives of people in need. This inspired him to take his legal career further and become an attorney himself.
David has been working with the firm since his admission to the Iowa bar in 1991, and has been a partner since 1995. He offers his clients not only over three decades worth of legal experience, but the same compassion and insight that motivated him to become a counselor straight out of college. This combination of traits serves him well in his practice areas of estate planning and probate and estate administration. David also has an active practice in real estate and tax law.
Clients value David’s willingness to listen to their needs and concerns and his ability to communicate with them about their legal options. David continues to be motivated by a strong desire to help people. He takes very seriously his responsibility to guide clients through potentially difficult times, whether by resolving tax concerns, guiding families through the probate process, protecting a family’s assets through estate planning, or helping real estate transactions go smoothly.
When not practicing law, David enjoys volunteering in the community, including work at his church. He enjoys sports, music and spending time with his daughters.
- Drake University Law School, Juris Doctor, with distinctions, 1991
- Kirkwood College, Legal Assistant degree, 1984
- Central College, Bachelor of Arts, 1982, major degree in Sociology with an emphasis in Anthropology and minor degree in Psychology
Professional Memberships and Positions:
- Linn County Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Authorized IRS e-file Provider
- Iowa, 1991
- St. Stephens Lutheran Church, member, volunteer and audit committee member
- Alzheimer’s Association, received Certificate of Special Service, Excellence in Caregiving for volunteer work