Ann’s clients include individuals, families, senior citizens, businesses and non-profit organizations in eastern Iowa. As a lawyer, she specializes in estate planning, probate, wills, trusts, guardianships, conservatorships, real estate, contracts, business and corporate law and taxation.
Ann helps individuals and families prepare, organize and plan while they are alive and competent so that their wishes are respected both when they are no longer able to make good choices and after death.
She also assists with the business formation, regular business operations and contracts. Additionally, with structuring the transfer of assets from one generation to the next, whether due to retirement or death.
Ann regularly outlines not only the legal aspects of an issue, but also the practical implications of each potential outcome. Ann’s clients can be confident they are making the right decisions for their future because she provides easy-to-understand information to help them make informed choices.
Ann prides herself on being easy to talk with and approachable. A client once told Ann, “you are not like a real lawyer, you are like a real person.”
One of nine children, she grew up on a family dairy farm near Bankston, Iowa. Ann’s grandfather told her, “Get an education because it is something no one can ever take away from you.” After earning two bachelor’s degrees, she graduated from law school in 1999. Her legal career has included more than 12 years in private practice in Cedar Rapids and five years as a trust officer in Linn and Johnson counties.
Ann is married and has three children. She appreciates spending time with her large, extended family. In addition, she enjoys volleyball, basketball, reading, and gardening.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning – Wills, Trusts
- Powers of Attorney
- Business & Corporate
- Real Estate
- Small Claims
- William Mitchell College of Law, Juris Doctorate, 1999
- Mount Mercy College, Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, 1996
- University of Iowa, Bachelor of General Studies with emphasis in English & Communication, 1991
Professional Memberships and Positions
- Iowa Bar Association, member, 1999-present
- Probate Section Council
- Chair Supreme Court Committee
- Chair Probate Manual Committee
- Iowa Supreme Court Committee on Probate Rules and Forms, Co-Chair
- Linn County Bar Association, member, 1999-present
- Board of Governors, 2015-present
- Secretary, 2015-present
- Iowa Academy of Trust and Estate Council, member, 2012-present
- Cedar Rapids Area Estate Planning Council, member, 1999-present
- Board of Directors, 2008-2011
- St. Jude’s Church, youth catechist, 2015-2016 & 2010-2011
- Sweet Corn Festival Volunteer, 2015 & 2016
- Mercy Women’s Center Advisory Board, member, 2010-present
- Salvation Army, Volunteer
- Community Free Health Clinic, Legal Advisor, 2010-2013
- United Way of East Central Iowa
- Board of Directors, 2004-2006
- Executive Committee, 2003-2006
- Committee Chair, 2003-2005
- Volunteer, 2000-2006
- Iowa Supreme Court, 1999
- 8th Circuit for the Northern District of Iowa, 1999
- 8th Circuit for the Southern District of Iowa, 1999